Tips when Building, Designing or Purchasing a Garden Building
1. The most overlooked of possible build issues. COLD BRIDGING. Cold bridging happens when a warm surface or structure meets a colder one. Put simply it’s a weak spot in the insulation surrounding the building, or a conductive material in contact with a cold environment and warm environment at the same time. E.g. No air gap between the internal cladding and external cladding.
Where ever this happens, condensation tends to be present.
GardenSpace Remedy & Wall build up.
In the design of the build. It is important to take into account where the cold bridging will occur. This will be somewhere in every wall, floor and roof build up.
Our build up consists of;
- inner finish (usually plasterboard and plaster)
- The first Vapour barrier (prevents moisture build up in construction materials, which causes mould)
- 11mm OSB board (strengthens and helps withstand sound penetration)
- Insulation (usually 100mm acoustic fibre) Insulates and dampens sound penetration
- 11mm OSB board (forms a strong surface for the outer vapour barrier and protects inner materials)
- Breathable membrane (this is where the inevitable cold bridging is designed to occur)
- 35mm Air gap (this allows moisture to collect on top of the breathable membrane and escape through the bottom of the build, behind the external cladding.)
2. Planning Permission & Permitted Development
Garden Buildings are considered Permitted Development and do NOT require planning permission as long as: The building is to be placed less than 2.0m from the boundary of the property with a maximum overall height of no more than 2.5m from existing ground level and a maximum internal floor space of 30m2 (Or less than half your garden size, which ever is first).
This is usually a rule of thumb with most of the UK, but bare in mind there are exceptions to the rule. For example, new build sites an conservation areas will have their own specific planning regs, so planning advice is always recommended in your local area.
If you intend to live in a garden building (e.g. bedroom). Planning permission and building control measures are highly advised.
4. Roof material and pitch
All roofing materials will have their own technical specifications and limits. E.g. Roofing tiles and some liquid roof coatings require a minimum roof pitch and will fail under sitting water or wind and rain. Its also important to direct rain water to a suitable route. usually a gutter and down pipe. Anywhere where there is a regular track of rain water, or splashing from the rainwater, will eventually encourage Damp, Condensation and mould.
5. Moisture Traps
Windows and doors are naturally cold areas in a warm building. Trickle vents in doors and windows are a good idea in doors and windows to encourage airflow and help stop the condensation on the glass.
6. Temperature & Due Points
Regardless of how well your building is designed and installed, fluctuations between hot and cold temperature, will encourage condensation. To help combat this, we recommend a heat source with a thermostat. Even when the building is not in use, if the temperature is set low, the heat source will stop the building reaching due point and eliminate condensation.
Designed for our customers to add their own personal touches. A basic building for you to turn into any space you please. Includes;
Firestone rubber roof
Galvanized Steel Frame
UPvc doors and windows
High grade embossed composite cladding
Insulation in all panels
Basic laminate flooring and skirting
2 electric points and mini consumer unit
Design Around your Intended use. This package tailors to your specific use, whether an Office, Gym or Yogo room a full design service is available.
Premium plus the following;
Front outside decked area with overhung roof
Plastered interior finish and upgraded flooring
Under floor heating
Floor to ceiling windows.
Highest spec insulation
Wrap around decked area with overhung roof
Your choice of interior cladding or plastering
Electrical design package
Luxury vinyl click flooring,Luxury bifolding aluminium sliding doors,Interior, fit for purpose decor package
(Bar, office, etc)
Add a footnote if this applies to your business